4.02.2008

Mommy You're Mean!

What do you say when your child yells this at you? Tuesday was a rough day for us. I think it was because it started far too early. When Anna danced in at 6:02 a.m., I rolled over and said to my husband, "I can tell this is not the right start to our day. It's going to be a long day." And it was. We did soccer and the mall. By the end of the mall excursion, I was yelling. Alex asked me, "Mommy, why are you so mean today?"

Like a knife in my heart. I tried to collect myself, but by then all the damage had been done. The day just spiraled from there. Crying. Whining. Disobeying. You get off to a bad start and it is hard as hell to turn it around.

At 7:30 p.m., I called my husband and said, "Please tell me you're almost home." His response, "No I just left work." He knew immediately and remarked, "Wow, it's been a long time since I've gotten a call like this." I plopped everyone in bed before 8 p.m. and Alex asked me, "Mommy can you please be nicer to me tomorrow."

Ugh.....yes, I will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just hate it when your day starts off on the wrong foot and you can't seem to turn it around. This happened to us yesterday too (and unfortunately the day before that). While my 2 year old isn't quite saying, "Mommy, you're mean," I know she was probably thinking it at some point during the last 48 hours. Thanks for sharing - at least I know I'm not the ONLY mean mom out there.

Anonymous said...

When things have gotten off to a rocky start we often say "Let's start this day over again." Even if it's 2pm we all say "good morning" and try to have better attitudes to get through the rest of the day. Some days we have to do this many many times.