8.09.2007

Crocs take a bite

I have a love/hate relationship with Crocs. You know those ugly rubber shoes that come in every color shoes should not be. I relented and bought each of my kids one pair. It was the hardest $50 I’ve spent on them. But four months later, I am still pleased with my purchase. They are great summer shoes for just about everything, except the playground. The amount of mulch that collects is unbelievable. They can put the shoes on and take them off. No tying, no velcroing, no socks. When they’re dirty, you wash them off in the sink. When they’re wet, they’re almost instantly dry. I have not a bad word to say about them, oh, except that they are the ugliest things I’ve ever seen.

But yesterday, a friend’s own experience gave me pause in my selection of children’s shoe wear. She sent an email saying her child’s shoe was completely eaten by an escalator. They barely got her foot out in time as the Croc was shredded to pieces in seconds. The mother was in disbelief that this could happen and so quickly! Apparently it just got stuck as they were coming up and the heat and pressure on the rubber just didn’t stand up. She was sure her daughter’s foot would have been destroyed. Apparently there is a whole blog dedicated to Croc accidents. Look at your own risk, but be aware. Perhaps sandals and shoes are better.

No comments: