12.05.2007

Today is NOT a snow day

This morning I woke up ready to face the day. My son goes to school today, but my daughter is home with me. Even with one child around in the morning, it still allows me the flexibility to run my Christmastime errands.

As I walked down the steps, I was greeted by my daughter's enthusiasm, "Mommy, it snow'ng outside." Yay, but all I could think of was how I had my morning planned to get ready for an upcoming Christmas get together, run some errands and pick up the house. None would be accomplished with both kids home if school was cancelled because of snow.

I look out and assess. Looks OK. Not too much on the ground.

In my sleepiness state, I staggered down the steps to the basement and check the public school announcments. No announcement meant school was open today. As I perk up, I sit down to enjoy my cup of coffee.

As I'm cajoling my kids to brush their teeth later in the morning, the phone rings at 8:45 (we're supposed to leave in about five minutes) and it's Alex teacher telling me school is closed because of the snow. "You're kidding me, right?" I ask, looking outside and seeing only a light dusting of snow, almost none of it is on the road.

So, once again, foiled by mother nature and home with two wonderful children who are always on the wrong side of the door--10 minutes of bundling up to play in the snow, after five minutes outside they are done. Ten minutes inside of toys and begging to go out again. Repeat.

I really have to get my head in the right place and try to start the day over with a smile. Snow day means built in fun for everyone. They did discover you can clean snow off the car with hair brushes. How very inventive!

1 comment:

purplemommy said...

Besides snow, I woke up to a 5 year old with a temperature, so no school anyway. By 9:30 am the fever was gone replaced by, "Mom, can we go play in the snow? Please, please, please?"